POSITION: Head of Consumer and Public Affairs Department
NUMBER OF POSITION: One (1)
LOCATION: Freetown (With intermittent travels outside of Freetown)
REPORTING TO: The Director General
In keeping with Section 23 (1) of the Sierra Leone Electricity and Water Regulatory Commission (SLEWRC) Act of 2011, the Commission hereby invites applications from suitably qualified applicants to fill the position of Head of Consumer and Public Affairs. The successful candidate must demonstrate the highest levels of responsibility, professionalism, leadership, integrity, and expertise.
SUMMARY OF THE ROLE:
As part of our regulatory mandate, the Electricity and Water Regulatory Commission is responsible for regulating water and Electricity services in Sierra Leone. The Consumer and Public Affairs Department is responsible for all public dissemination, media and public engagement and complaints handling functions as received from consumers of service utilities.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work with the Director General to achieve organizational goals and objectives by administering the communications, public and consumer relations initiatives as determined by the larger organizational strategic planning process.
- Plan and implement policies and procedures governing the mandate of the Commission.
- Develop and conduct programs to inform public of Commission’s objectives.
- Organize public engagement and pubic consultation, events for information dissemination and tariff hearing purposes etc.
- Advocate consumer interests before service utilities and entities and recommend changes in legislation affecting consumer protection.
- Engage and train staff of service utilities on consumer rights and protection.
- Develop an effective five years communications plans that leverages on mandate of the Commission vis-à-vis its brand promise.
- Develop, integrate, and implement PR activities designed to enhance the Commission’s brand image
- Cultivate and maintain strong media relationships.
- Develop and execute varied and integrated communications products including website, print publications, newsletters, online communications, media and public relations.
- Serve as executive editor for the development, production and maintenance of the Commission’s internal and external communication vehicles, including the website, marketing materials, publications, newsletters, invitations, flyers, advertisements, and annual reports.
- Ensure website is regularly updated
- Responsible for media propagation of all EWRC activities
- Evaluate an integrated strategic communications plan to advance the Commission’s brand identity and broaden awareness of its programs and priorities.
- Resolve all public affairs issues.
- Enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences.
- Any other duties as assigned by the Director General
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES
- A good Bachelor Degree in Mass Communication/ Public Relations/Administration or Development Studies. Master’s Degree will be an advantage
- Have a minimum of five years work experience in related field.
- Familiarity with the government structures in Sierra Leone, especially as pertains to electricity, water and development initiatives
- Basic Computer knowledge in Microsoft Word and Excel and graphics design ICT applications.
- Experience supervising and managing department and auxiliary staff.
- Very good communication, negotiation and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent written and oral English.
- Knowledge and experience in negotiation, persuasion and problem-solving;
- Strong presentation, and report writing skills;
- Excellent organizational management skills.
- Capacity to complete the work with high quality and precision
- A confident individual that can enlist confidence of other staff.
- Strong Leadership and Interpersonal skills
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply please send or email your application addressed to:
The Director General
Sierra Leone Electricity and Water Regulatory Commission
55 Berwick Street
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS IS WEDNESDAY 6th JULY, 2021
The EWRC is an equal opportunities employer and we encourage applications from women and the people with disabilities. Please note that the EWRC will take into consideration relevant experience both in Sierra Leone and in overseas jurisdictions where candidates have worked.